Monday, October 3, 2011

Why Teach

Canestrari, Alan S., and Bruce A. Marlowe. "Why Teach." Educational Foundations: an Anthology of Critical Readings. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2010. 27-28
 
Why is teaching important to me? There are a lot of reason's I believe people want to become teachers. I comment the few that choose to go into this field. There is a need for devoted, unbias skilled teachers in the urban areas. Too many of inner city youth are fail and falling behind in school. The drop out rate is getting higher in High school. Why is that? I want to teach to help close the margins for inner city youth. My special interest is African-American males. In articles and stories I have read it seems there is a big problem of how young boys are taught in elementary school. Most of the teacher's today that work in the inner city schools are have no clue on the cultural differences of African- American kids. They are not equipped with the background to really understand what it takes to teach a kid from that Environment. How can you teach all kids to read one way when they all don't learn the same way. There needs to be more training on the part of teachers that teach inner city kids. There needs to be more effort and time spent learning how to reach each kid at thier cultural level. I want to teach because I want to be that beacon of hope for these kids. I want to see positive articles on the success in spite of social and economic challenges of these kids. I want to teach because I believe in kids and I believe kids have a lot to offer this society. They just need help starting off the ground. The article I have referenced is one that speaks volume to the reality that African- American boy are being failed by schools. I don't want this to continue and I want to be apart of change that I believe will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment